Learn the mysteries in American history…
…on a whirlwind tour of two impressive, history-packed museums. Adults and kids team up to follow a trail of clues that lead you through the best of the exhibits—from freaky folk art and silly sculptures to Oval Office oddities, celeb secrets, and more.
You’re not collecting objects (put back that painting!) on this scavenger hunt. You’re finding answers to tricky and humorous questions that bring out the skills of everyone on the team.
Along the way, you might discover…
- Portraits of the presidents—and the secrets some conceal
- Appearances by many famous and colorful Americans, from the real Pocahontas to the man who worked closely with Bugs Bunny
- Fascinating paintings that relate to kids’ interests, including the Headless Horseman’s wild ride, a balloon ride that might remind you of The Wizard of Oz, and a 19th-century “Wizard” suitable for Hogwarts
- Modern art that will surprise and delight, including license plates with secret messages, art you can walk on, and the startling hidden home of a man named Sollie
- Unusual folk art, which features surprising uses for tinfoil and wild whirligigs
No previous knowledge is required, but you’ll learn a lot along the way. It’s the perfect museum activity for any group that wants to get adults and kids working together and having fun—from school field trips, scout-group outings, birthday parties, you name it! Suitable for ages 7 and up.
What happy teachers are saying
“We took a group of 30 eighth graders on a private hunt of the National Portrait Gallery. The kids were entertained, focused, and learned something! A win on all fronts! We would definitely recommend this hunt to any school groups visiting D.C. It makes for a fun day of competition and helps students get more out of museums than they normally would by listening to a docent. Thanks, Watson Adventures!” –A reviewer on Yelp