Festive Holiday Trivia Game
Whether you’re hanging out with family or planning a belated office holiday gathering, liven up your event with some holiday trivia. Our array of virtual holiday games include ‘Tis the Season for a Virtual Holiday Trivia Game, full of fun, festive trivia challenges.
To get you warmed up for those challenges, or for some at-home Christmas games, enjoy this list of 30 holiday trivia questions.
1. What is the best-selling Christmas song of all time?
Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas”
2. In what year did The Nutcracker ballet premiere in Saint Petersburg, Russia?
3. How many years did it take Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You” to reach No. 1 on Billboard’s Hot 100?
25: Released in 1994, it didn’t hit No. 1 until 2019.
4. A Spanish tradition involves eating 12 of what as the clock hits midnight to ring in the New Year?
5. What Christmas character did Robert L. May invent in 1939 to help attract customers to his department store?
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
6. In It’s a Wonderful Life, what is the name of George Bailey’s guardian angel?
7. Which of Santa’s reindeer shares the name of another holiday’s mascot?
8. In the film A Christmas Story, what neighbors’ dogs eat the Christmas turkey?
9. What popular Christmas song was really written for Thanksgiving?
10. In which country was the gingerbread house invented in the 16th century?
11. Which Christmas song contains the lyric “Everyone dancing merrily in the new old-fashioned way”?
“Rocking Around The Christmas Tree”
12. What 2019 movie got its name from a Wham! Christmas song?
13. In some parts of Europe, what horned creature visits children to whip them into being nice for Christmas?
14. In 1836, which U.S. state first recognized Christmas as a legal holiday?
15. In Will Ferrell’s Elf, what is the first rule of The Code of Elves?
Treat every day like Christmas
16. Who invented electric Christmas lights in 1880?
17. In what country does the witch Befana drop gifts down people’s chimneys on January 5th?
18. In National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, how many Christmas lights were strung up on the Griswolds’ house?
19. In what century was mistletoe first used at Christmas?
The 1st century A.D.
20. Which President declared Christmas a national holiday?
Ulysses S. Grant
21. In the song about him, what are Frosty the Snowman’s last words?
“I’ll be back again someday!”
22. Tom Hanks played six different roles in what wintry film?
The Polar Express
23. What was the first company to use Santa Claus in its advertising?
24. How many ghosts show up in Charles Dickens’ A Christmas Carol?
Four: You’ve got the three Christmas ghosts, of course, but don’t forget Jacob Marley!
25. Santa Claus is based on the Christian Saint Nicholas. What modern-day country was Saint Nicholas born in?
26. In Home Alone, where are the McCallisters going on vacation when they leave Kevin at home?
27. What old-timey U.S. tourist destination started the Christmas tradition of putting candles in windows?
Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia
28. True or false: Before turkey became popular in England, the traditional Christmas dinner included a pig’s head smothered in mustard.
29. When was the first Christmas tree erected in New York City’s Rockefeller Center?
30. Who wrote, “Christmas doesn’t come from a store, maybe Christmas perhaps means a little bit more”?
Find More Fun
For a more challenging experience, try out one of our virtual trivia games. And consider ringing in the new year with the new Toast to 2022: A New Year’s Trivia Game, available for private groups anytime, anywhere.