As the unofficial start of summer, Memorial Day can sometimes blur into an excellent excuse for a three-day weekend and quality beach time. But of course it means infinitely more than that.
In honor of Memorial Day, we’ve rounded up a few of our favorite war memorials from scavenger hunts all over the country. From remembering the Revolutionary War to marking modern conflicts, these totems to bravery and sacrifice remind us all of the ultimate price so many have paid to safeguard our way of life.
1. American Merchant Mariners’ Memorial,
Battery Park, New York City
See it on the Lost New York Scavenger Hunt.
2. Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Regiment Memorial, Boston
3. World War I Memorial, Pershing Park,
See it on the private Race to the White House Scavenger Hunt.
4. Tomb of the Unknown Revolutionary War Soldier, Philadelphia
See it on the Secrets of Old Philadelphia Scavenger Hunt.
5. USS Pampanito, Fisherman’s Wharf, San Francisco
See it on the private Wharf’s Weird Wonders Scavenger Hunt. Don’t worry, we’ll explain that broom up top.